City of Tullahoma
PO BOX 807
Tullahoma, TN 37388
Make Checks Payable to:
City of Tullahoma
Arts Alive Tullahoma
Juried Art Festival 2019 General Information
South Jackson Civic Center Lawn
404 South Jackson Street
May 25 2019 - May 26 2019
Application deadline April 15, 2019
Saturday 10 am – 6 pm
Sunday Noon – 5 pm
The Arts Alive Tullahoma Art Festival is a top outdoor arts event in Southern Middle Tennessee. Since 1968, the Tullahoma Arts Festival and the Tullahoma Art Center has a long tradition of attracting thousands of visitors. This is a juried arts festival, Arts Alive Tullahoma Arts Festival offers cash awards including a $500.00 Best of Show. Other prizes are $100 for each category. This is a free event to the public.
• Arts Alive Tullahoma 2019 is open to artists 18 of age or older.
• Original artwork only.
• Absolutely no buy-sell, no direct sales, or multi level marketing.
• Any commercially-made embellishments must be subordinate to the handcrafted work.
• For upcycled/recycled artwork, the finished pieces must show a manipulation of the materials and originality in design to be eligible.
• Copyrighted designs not owned by the craft artist may not be used, nor may commercially manufactured artwork be shown (E.g., coffee cups, note cards, calendars, stickers, etc.).
• Arts Alive Tullahoma reserves the right to remove any work, which in its judgment does not reflect the caliber of the work presented in the digital images, or work considered to be in poor taste.
• Arts Alive Tullahoma expects full and accurate disclosure by the craft artist of materials and methods used in his/her work.
• Artists must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible.
• Each artist wishing to exhibit must submit an entry form. (Two names may be listed if both partners are fully involved in the production of the craft and if the work is collaborative). Arts Alive Tullahoma focus on the work of individual artists, not groups, collectives, or production facilities.
• No applicant will be excluded from participation in Arts Alive Tullahoma -sponsored events on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age.
• Arts Alive Tullahoma reserves the right to refuse any application.
Application, booth and other fees may be sent via check to PO Box 807, Tullahoma, TN 37388. Make payable to Make checks payable to the City of Tullahoma.A $20 fee is charged for EACH returned check.Your booth fee constitutes an agreement to show. Booth space will NOT be reserved without payment of fees.
Submit a total of three (3) digital images of artwork executed in the past two years.
Do NOT include a booth image. Sometimes it is helpful to include a close-up of one work, showing in DETAIL the craftsmanship involved. Images should demonstrate the quality of all work the artist intends to sell. If your work was pre-accepted and you wish to include work in an additional medium, images of that work must be submitted. ALL PRE-ACCEPTED ARTISTS MUST SUBMIT IMAGES OF CURRENT WORK EVEN THOUGH THEY WILL BE EXEMPT FROM SCREENING. Arts Alive Tullahoma reserves the right to reproduce accepted applicants’ digital images for promotional purposes. Applicants are encouraged to arrange the images with an eye toward creating a well-integrated presentation.
Works eligible for exhibition include, drawing, painting, photography, digital design, craft, sculpture, pottery, wood, glass, jewelry and textiles.
Reproductions of an artist's one-of-a-kind work may be exhibited under the following conditions:
1. Original work must be clearly visible and of primary importance.
2. All reproductions must be signed and numbered, excluding photographs (which must only be signed).
3. All reproductions whether framed or unframed must be clearly and individually labeled "Reproduction" or "Limited Edition Reproduction".
4. All reproductions whether framed or unframed must be displayed in browse bins – limited to one (1) bin per booth. No reproductions may be hung on walls.
Books/Paper: Functional and sculptural work created primarily from paper. Reproduction rules apply.
Sculpture: Functional and sculptural work where the primary material is clay. All original clay and porcelain work other than jewelry is accepted in this category. No machine-made or mass produced work is permitted. If multiple pieces of the same design are displayed each piece must be signed. Molds, if used, must be made by the artist and subordinate to the overall finished work. Metal sculpture: Functional and sculptural work where the primary material is metal and includes all non-sculptural, non-jewelry works crafted from metals. No production studio work is allowed. In addition, CAD- or CNC-assisted works are not allowed unless the generated components are subordinate to the finished artwork.
Fiber/Textile: Wall hangings, quilts, rugs, wearable items, etc. where the primary material is fiber are to be entered in this category.
Glass: Functional and sculptural work where the primary material is glass. No forms of mass production are permitted.
Jewelry: Work made from precious or semi-precious materials as well as other materials such as glass, ceramic, paper, fiber, wood, leather, polymer clay, etc. Any commercially-made components must be subordinate to the handcrafted work. No commercial casts, molds or production studio work is allowed.
Painting: 2-D works created with acrylics, oils, watercolor/gouache or other type paints. Reproduction rules apply.
Photography: Photographic prints made from the artist's original negative or digital image processing, and which have been processed by that artist, or under his or her direct supervision, are included in this category. All prints must be signed, regardless of size or mounting substrate. Photographs taken by digital means and works consisting of photographs that have been manipulated using a computer are allowed; however, work that has been significantly manipulated into the final artwork will be considered Digital Art and is not allowed.
Wood: Functional and sculptural work where the primary material is wood. Original works must be hand-tooled, machine worked, turned or carved.
• Work must be produced by the exhibiting artist, whose manipulation of the chosen medium exhibits an excellence in concept and technique, as well as the mark of individuality. Work exhibited must be consistent with the quality shown in digital images submitted and only media accepted by the jurors will be permitted in booths. Arts Alive Tullahoma reserves the right to require that any inappropriate or ineligible work be removed.
All sales are handled by the exhibitor. Arts Alive Tullahoma collects no commission on sales. Sales tax must be collected by the exhibitor. Instructions will be included in your welcome packet (given at check-in) regarding how the sales tax should be deposited with the Tennessee Department of Revenue.
SHOW DATES and DEADLINES
Event dates: Saturday, May 25 through Sunday, May 26
Application Deadline: April 15
Notification: By April 29, but we will make an attempt to notify within 48 hours.
Payment Deadline: Midnight, April 29
Cancellation: May 13 Last Day to cancel with refund
Make checks payable to the City of Tullahoma. Mail to PO Box 807, Tullahoma, TN 37388
Certain exceptions do apply, please contact event organizer.
SET UP AND BREAK DOWN
Friday, May 24: Set-up Noon to 5 pm
Saturday, May 25: Set-up 7 to 8:45 am
Parking is located to the south of the Civic Center. Vehicles are not allowed on the festival grounds between the hours of 8:45 am and 6 pm Saturday and 11 am - 5 pm on Sunday.
We request that you not breakdown before 5:00 p.m. May 26. Please see event staff if earlier time is required.
Saturday, May 25 artists’ reception and award ceremony. Awards reception starts at 6:30pm across the Street at the Tullahoma Art Center.
• Cash awards, including Best of Show, with all award winners invited to return next spring as exempt from jury
• Vehicle unloading/loading behind or near booth space, weather permitting
• Free artist parking
• Night security
• Full-scale marketing campaign including print, online, radio and television media outlets
• Air-conditioned rest areas & brick-and-mortar bathroom facilities
• For new artists, two artists can share one booth
• Volunteer booth sitting during show hours
EVENT FACILITIES AND BOOTH INFORMATION
FACILITIES AND SET-UP
Exhibitors are responsible for their entire displays. NOTE: THERE IS NO SET-UP ALLOWED DURING SHOW HOURS. The show goes on rain or shine, and each exhibitor should make arrangements for wind or rain. (Tents are suggested to be white or black and can be rented in advance. No tarps. See Optional Tent Rental.) Table coverings are recommended for tables.
• Exhibitors are encouraged to demonstrate in their exhibit space. (electricity-given priority to those who demonstrate)
• Electricity or other sources of ignition are not permissible inside exhibitor tent or display area.
• All exhibitor tents are suggested to be white or black in color. See optional tent rental. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any clarification. No tarps.
• Tents may be secured with hand- or foot-driven stakes which do not exceed 9 inches. Or corkscrew stakes, or weighted ballast with a five gallon bucket or sandbags.
• No prerecorded or amplified live music of any kind is permissible in an exhibitor’s booth space. Out of respect for exhibiting neighbors, disruptive sounds, smells or other distractions are not allowable. Artists using spray paints will be positioned a distance away from traditional artists.
BOOTH PRICING & INFORMATION
• 12´ x 12´ space $80
• 24´ x 12´ double space $110
• Corner or endline booth extra $10
Guaranteed shade $10 extra Limited to 20 booths.
Note: A corner booth is defined as a booth located in a turn of the layout; an endline booth is a booth that has a break of eight feet or greater on one side.
OPTIONAL TENT RENTAL
• 10´ x 10´ tent $65 (Rental fee includes complimentary set-up and removal)
$25.00/220 must send photo of male plug Insert photo of female plug. No generators. Limited availability, first come first serve.
Arts Alive provides security on the grounds (from 6 pm Friday until 7 am Saturday; and Saturday 6pm until Sunday at 9am.); however, all artists exhibit work at their own risk. It is understood that Arts Alive does not carry insurance to cover your personal property. As an independent contractor, you are advised to obtain your own insurance.